It’s holiday party season, which means it’s time for red everything, velvet dresses, high heels, and tons of tinsel. Stay tuned for some cool outfit ideas!
Holiday Outfit Inspiration #1: Red Peplum Top
I love wearing red to holiday parties. I think it’s such a great, festive color. So a red peplum top is a great central piece for this outfit. Peplum tops help whittle your waist and create and hourglass figure. Pair with a pair of black leather or coated pants and a patterned sports jacket for a cool-girl kind of look and a bit of shine. Finish off the look with black stilettos with red accents, a black bag with some silver hardware and a solid silver choker to polish the entire outfit.
Peplum Top: Time and Lace Wine Red Lace Peplum Top, $18.50 at Lulu’s
Choker: O-Ring Snake Chain Coker in Silver, $3.90 at Forever 21
Pants: Moto Babe Coated Leggings, $15.87 at Go Jane
Purse: Ida Clutch by Carlos Santana, $29.99 at TJ Maxx
Jacket: Jealous Tomato Floral Raglan Scuba Bomber Jacket, $29.99 at Century 21
Holiday Outfit Inspiration #2: Denim Mini Skirt
Another look I really love is the denim mini skirt. Though people may traditionally associate denim skirts with springtime, I happen to love a denim skirt paired with a long coat and long sleeves for the winter. This look is definitely more casual and fun, so it would be great for a small New Years gathering. I’d start with a straight denim skirt, paired with an athletic-looking all-black long sleeve shirt. Pair this with sneakers (bonus style points if they have a platform!) and layered necklaces for a street-style vibe. Top with a brightly colored peacoat, flashy clutch and ultra-cool minimalistic digital watch and voila! You’ve got an effortlessly cool holiday look!
Top: Varsity Stripe Ponte Crop Top, $15.00 at Charlotte Russe
Peacoat: Anne Klein Double-Breasted Peacoat in Cobalt, $89.99 at Macy’s
Necklaces: Black Tattoo Choker with Layered Arrow and Turquoise Spike Pendant Necklaces Set of 3, $5.00 at Icing
Purse: Colorful Embroidered Clutch in Black, $33.60 at UrbanOG
Sneakers: Superga Acot Linea Sneaker, $79.95 at Nordstrom
Watch: White Digital Activity Tracker Watch in White, $9.99 at Rue 21
I hope these holiday outfit inspirations gave you some ideas on how to amp up your style game for this holiday season! Hope your holidays are wonderful and full of happiness, love, laughter, and great fashion!
Today’s post should’ve been about my weekend in Connecticut for an Orthodox Christian retreat, but unfortunately, that plan fell through. So instead, I’m here to tell you all about why working out with friends makes exercising fun, easy and motivational, at least from my perspective.
Don’t get me wrong, I love working out on my own. It’s this weird power trip: nothing goes straight to my head more than a half hour of beast mode at the gym. But there’s also some great benefits to working out with your friends, and not just physical ones. And it doesn’t even have to be in a class, it can be at home or in your neighborhood. I’ve done both, and they can both be equally fun and inspirational.
Accountability: There’s no bailing out on exercising when you’ve made plans to hit the gym or pound the pavement. Your friends will make sure you show up, on time, and put all your energy into your workout.
Motivation: When you feel like there’s no going on and you’ve exhausted every last bit of energy you had, your friends are there to cheer you on and keep you going. It’s a lot harder to do that all on your own, just saying.
Positivity: How many times a day do we tell ourselves that we’re not good enough, not performing well enough or just not up to par with everyone else? Friends and workout buddies are there to nip any negativity right in the bud and raise you up again.
Catching Up: Sometimes, a workout sesh can be just what you need to catch up with your pals. In between push-ups or during laps around the track, you can be gabbing about what’s going on in your life. Not only is the conversation great, but it also makes the workout go by quicker. The perfect way to multitask!
Trying New Things: Friends are the perfect people to drag along when you want to try out a new workout. Whether it’s a class like Zumba or SoulCycle, or even just a new routine, having a friend to try it out with you can make the activity less daunting and more fun. Last summer, when I wanted to give running a try, I went on walks/runs with my best friend Lauren who also wanted to try something new. Having her with me made me less scared to try and more excited for something new.
Answering Questions: I can’t even begin to explain to you the number of questions I have had about different workout machines at the gym. I was always too scared to use them because I didn’t know, but whenever I go to the gym with my friend Alyssa, who is definitely more athletic than I am, she can answer my questions and tell me what to do. It’s definitely reassuring to have someone who has my back explain what each machine in easy, plain terms so I can understand it.
Since I didn’t get to go to the retreat this weekend, I got to spend Saturday morning and afternoon with my best friend Lauren, who has been one of my best and constant workout partners for a while now. From our Zumba sessions with our other besties Torie, Dani, and Emily, to our morning summer runs on our local trails, Lauren is always there to keep me positive and motivated. She came over in the morning to do Zumba, specifically the DVDs from the Zumba Tone Up System (get the 5 DVD set here.) We did about 35 minutes, with 15 of it doing the Amazing Abs, and the rest working out biceps and triceps. After a week of not working out because I was sick, it was so energizing to get back into the groove. Plus, I hadn’t seen Lauren in a few weeks, so it was a great chance to catch up and gossip while working out our abs.
After our workout, Lauren and I went to this super awesome salad place called Chopt, and I totally loved it! It’s like the Chipotle of salads- pick from a variety of toppings to create your own salad or order a salad off the menu. I got a Santa Fe salad, which had romaine lettuce, corn, avocado, pepper jack cheese, grape tomatoes, (delicious) homemade fried onions, and sweet and smoky chipotle vinaigrette. I also added steak, which was totally yummy. Though my salad was a little spicy, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so filling and super delish.
Lauren ordered the Mexican Caesar salad, which comes with romaine lettuce, grilled chicken, cotija cheese, jalapeno peppers (which Lauren subbed for cucumbers), tortilla chips, and Mexican Caesar dressing. She said hers was spicy too, but it smelled really good and I know she totally loved it!
My favorite part of working out with Lauren is getting to catch up and having her there to motivate me, but the tasty food we sometimes get afterwards doesn’t hurt either!! And it’s good to know that the feeling is mutual. I asked Lauren what she likes about working out with a buddy, she agreed with me and said, “Ok so working out with friends is more fun because you not only work out but you can catch up. The time passes quicker and you can share new techniques with each other. It’s great to motivate each other.” Couldn’t have said it better myself. Best friends think alike, I think!
Lauren and I went back to her house after we got our Chopt salads so we could eat and watch HGTV, which is one of our post-workout routines. Nothing is more rewarding to me after working out than a laid-back afternoon with my bestie! Let me know what keeps you motivated to work out, what your healthy post-workout routine is or if you’ve given fitness with friends a try! Keep on working, Tasters, you’ve got this!
No day is better than Friday. I don’t have classes on Fridays (ha!), so I usually spend my time sleeping late, going to the gym, and browsing social media. So, why not peruse social media AND be productive by blogging about it?
Welcome to the first of (hopefully) many Friday Finds~
Basically, I’m just going to list a few cool things I found on the social media of my choice that I think you guys would enjoy. Please don’t forget to tell me what you think and share your Friday Finds with me!
OH and make sure to stick around till the end so you can take a peek at my new fitness plan 🙂
FRIDAY FINDS: Pinterest!
Pinterest is my source for information, motivation, inspiration and creation. I am highly addicted and love trying out the new ideas I find on there. Here are five pins that I’m loving this week:
1. Morning Yoga in Bed: Let’s be real, I am definitely a lazy girl. So if I can spend just a few more minutes in bed AND stretch at the same time, you can count me in! This awesome graphic, originally from Fit Girl’s Diary, demonstrates some easy yoga poses we can do to stretch and energize our bodies before even rolling out of bed. What’s not to love about that?
2. Rainbow Smoothie: Yeah, this is pretty darn cool. Not only are these multi-color smoothies totally Insta-worthy, they’re also naturally good for you! Complete with fruits and veggies like bananas, mango, beets and spinach, this smoothie by The First Year will give you plenty of essential nutrients. Can’t wait to give this one a try!
3. Work, Work, Work: This week has been a little rougher for me than others. I was so ready to jump right into my new plan and work to achieve some goals, but come Monday morning, I was feeling under the weather and dealing with some unwelcome drama. This little quote right here kept me going through the week. I didn’t miss a single gym day and kept eating well instead of giving in and saying, “Oh, I’m sick, I’ll just start over next week.” It’s all about mindset, and honestly, this image kept me in the right one all week. Thanks to skinny-healthyme.tumblr.com (now http://www.nutrifitblr.com/) for the original post!
4. Dutch Sister Braid: I am always looking for new ways to wear my hair to the gym instead of resorting the the same old ponytail, especially since I go to the gym after/in between classes now. This super cute braid and pony combo from MakeupWearables is trendy and chic, but more importantly, practical. So excited to test this look out!
5. SCARVES: Just because I’m adding some new content doesn’t mean I’m not still going to post about fashion! Yesterday was the first day of autumn, and I am so excited about the change in fashion that comes with the change in seasons. The layering, the boots, THE SCARVES!! Yes, I have a slightly unhealthy love of scarves. What I love about this look found on Wachabuy is that I can totally imagine myself wearing it and still being totally comfortable and practical. Most of my gym times these days are scheduled after or in between classes, so outfits like this that can transition from the classroom to the Arc Trainer are perfect for me. And a scarf makes it even better! Just gotta trade the Starbucks for my water bottle and the tote for my backpack…
If you all love Pinterest as much as I do, make sure to follow me and let me know what you’ve been loving and pinning!
And onto the next bit, here’s…
MY FALL 2016 FITNESS PLAN!!
So, after a lot of research and thought, I finally put together a plan for myself to follow on my journey to a healthier lifestyle. I compiled some (more) Pins I found and took my own schedule into account to decide how I should work out and when.
So without further adieu, here it is! (I color-coded it just for you guys:))
My cardio usually consists of the Arc Trainer, which I set to “Women’s Weight Loss” mode. It gives me the option of “Hill Climb” and “Speed Bump” (I think), and I generally alternate between the two. Sometimes, I use the bicycle machine or go on a run instead, but the Arc Trainer is my preferred method of exercise.
As far as my other workouts, basically all I did was pull ideas from the following three pins and combine them based on what I thought I could handle physically and what my schedule allowed.
So far, I’m really loving my new plan. I do my cardio at the campus rec center during the day, either after or in between classes, and then do my strength exercises when I get back to my room. I’ll go through one circuit, then do my sit-ups, then another circuit and crunches, then the last circuit and squats, and then I’ll end with the killer one minute plank. (Yes, I am weak and shake the entire time, but I’m working on it!) I won’t lie, it is pretty exhausting, but it’s totally worth it and my body already feels better. I also make sure to record everything I eat and every exercise I do in the MyFitnessPal app. It helps me keep track of my progress and everything I’m doing.
I hope that one of these pins or my new plan inspires you to try something new in your life, whether it be directly from something you see online or something you have to manipulate to fit your lifestyle better. Remember, we’re not cookie-cutter people, so not everything is going to work exactly the same for everyone. Don’t forget to let me know what you thought about these pins and what you’re working on at home! Until next time…
Hey, everyone! Hope you’re all as excited for the holidays as I am, especially for the awesome outfit opportunities! Here’s a more posh, high fashion-y outfit for you all to try! Hope you like it!
Velvet is such a luxurious looking and feeling fabric, but it’s generally affordable, so it’s a great way to take an outfit to the next level. Look for a short dress in a stand-out color since it will be the focus of your ensemble.
Faux Leather Moto Jacket
To keep up the luxe look at a lower cost, pair the velvet dress with a simple, black faux leather moto jacket. The simplicity of the cut and style of the jacket will allow the velvet dress to take center stage, but the faux leather will make you look effortlessly cool and fun!
To make this outfit more urban, fun and fashion-y, I would pair it with a pair of printed or brightly colored high top sneakers. They’re comfy and quirky, and add a bit of interest to your outfit!
To finish up this outfit, I would add some popping accessories. I would start off with sheer black tights to keep your leg warms, and then a pair of black knee high socks scrunched down to just above your shoes for a fashion forward look. Feel free to substitute something more colorful or quirky for either, or to forgo one or both. I would then choose an eye-catching black and white headband and put my hair in a high bun so it can take center stage. I would also pair it with a pair of glitzy, dangling earrings in a neutral for a bit of dazzle and glamour. Lastly, I would pair the whole ensemble with a small, quirky wallet or clutch to add to the playful feel of the outfit.
Thanks for reading! If anyone has any ideas for this outfit or decides to try something like it, let me know in the comments below or send a picture to my email: firstname.lastname@example.org! Also don’t forget to follow my Tumblr, tantalizingly-tasteful.tumblr.com, and my Instagram, @tonirose08! Love you guys, happy holidays! xx
In This Article:
Urban Renewal Remade Crushed Velvet Godet Dress in Grey, $79.00 at Urban Outfitters
Crush Hour Velvet Mesh Halter Dress in Navy, $16.83 at GoJane
Collarless Faux Leather Moto Jacket, $42.90 at Forever 21
Hey, guys! With school right around the corner, I thought I’d share my school necessities with you! Hope you enjoy!
1. Cute backpack: Everyone knows how important your backpack is to your school experience. It honestly can make or break your year. You want something that’s cute and trendy, but also affordable and roomy. I always like to look for something with pockets to hold my cell phone, wallet and emergency kit. I try to look for something with lots of compartments so that I can keep my books organized. When you get your bag, put your books in it right away to make sure it can hold everything. If not, it’s back to the drawing board! It’s better to have one completely functional bag than two or three cute bags full of books! Stay tuned for a guide on this year’s backpack trends!
2. Sweet (and comfy!) kicks: Chances are that, if you’re in high school, there’s going to be some point in the day when you have to sprint from one side of the school to another just to make it to class on time. Let’s be real here: You really don’t want to make that trek in a pair of impossibly high heels or incredibly tight shoes that give you blisters. So opt for something a little bit more comfortable and manageable. Sure, it’s fun to wear heels to school every once in a while, but when you do, stick to a maximum of two or three inches with a platform, and go for flats the rest of the time. You’ll get to class faster, and your feet will thank you. But don’t feel like you have to do sneakers just to stay comfortable! There are so many different kinds of shoes that you could rock while still sparing your feet the trauma. Find a style that you like and feel comfortable in, then rock them in the hallways!
3. Functional and cool watch: At school, it’s always important that you know the time. You need to know how much time you have left on a test? You want to know how much time you have left of this boooring U.S. history lecture? You want to know how much time you have left to finish your forgotten homework? Check. Your. Watch. I can’t tell you how much wearing a watching to school has helped me. The school’s clocks are always breaking or out of sight, so now I can rely on my own handy dandy watch. And watches can be cute! They’re practical and fashionable. What’s better than that?! I like analog watches, but if you can’t read analog: 1. Learn how to. 2. Go for digital. There are so many cute options, the possibilities are endless!
4. Adorable wallet: For me, it’s always important to have a wallet on me. I need to have my school I.D. on me at all times, and some money in case there’s a pizza sale or my friends want to make a quick Starbucks run in between school and extracurricular activities. It’s important to me that my wallets are cute, so (ironically), all of mine have animals on them. I have one with a peacock, two with owls and one with an elephant. They make me smile, and they’re great conversation starters. Look for something that matches your own personal style and personality, but also holds your I.D., your cash, your change and, of course, your Panera card and Starbucks gift card!
5. Super cute makeup bag: I’ll be honest, I totally rely on a makeup bag at school. I use it to hold my emergency kit (blog post coming soon!) and need it to be roomy, but also cute! I like something with a zipper and preferably some compartments. I usually either keep it in my locker or in my backpack, but my friends come to me for things that I keep in there, so I want it to be cute!
If anyone has any other hallway essentials or decides to give mine a try, let me know in the comments below or send a picture to my email: email@example.com! Also don’t forget to follow my Tumblr, tantalizingly-tasteful.tumblr.com, and my Instagram, @tonirose08! Love you guys, thanks for reading! xx
In This Article:
New Look Acid Denim Backpack, $48.35 at Asos
JanSport High Steaks Corduroy Backpack, $40 at Urban Outfitters
Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Core Hi in Classic Black, $55.00 at Zappos
When it’s time for school to start, I try to give my summer wardrobe an update by pairing items with pieces for fall. In this outfit, I’ll do just that to make an ensemble that is fun, cool and school appropriate! Hope you like it!
I love high-waisted jeans so much. They flatter my small waist and are just comfortable. I just got an awesome new pair from Annie Sez (that I couldn’t find online) that hit my tiniest point. They’ve got four buttons and have a very classic silhouette, but they’re acid wash, so they’re super fun and flattering. If you don’t feel comfortable with a cool acid wash print, look for something with a dark rinse.
The awesome part about wearing high-waisted jeans? You can wear ultra cute crop tops without worrying about showing too much midriff. Crop tops draw attention to a small waist and show a little bit of skin without being too scandalous. Just make sure they’re not against your school dress code before wearing one! If you’re wearing a pair of acid wash jeans, I would stick to something solid but not boring, like this cute cutout crop top from Aéropostale. If you’re feeling brave, pair your jeans with a patterned crop top. Just make sure the tops have at least one similar color so they don’t clash, but avoid being matchy-matchy (unless it’s intentional!) If you’re going with a simple pair of plain blue jeans, pair them with a cute floral crop top to bring a bit of summer to the hallways!
(Tip: Let your crop tops air dry so they don’t shrink and become so small that you can’t wear them! That’s unattractive and a waste of money!)
For this outfit, I would go with something effortless and simple to keep your outfit grounded and urban. I’d pair this with a pair of slip on shoes or a pair of Converse high tops. That way I’ll be cute and comfortable!
For this outfit, I’d want to include some super cute and glam accessories. I’d wear a stack of homemade friendship bracelets on one wrist, and a watch and a few bangles and thin bracelets on the other. I would stick with stud earrings to keep attention on your outfit, as well as a few thin rings and one short and one medium length necklace or a layered necklace. This combination will make you look cool, but not like you’re trying too hard.
If anyone has any ideas for this outfit or decides to try something like it, let me know in the comments below or send a picture to my email: firstname.lastname@example.org! Also don’t forget to follow my Tumblr, tantalizingly-tasteful.tumblr.com, and my Instagram, @tonirose08! Love you guys xx
In This Article:
Levi’s Juniors’ High Rise Skinny Jeans in Jewel, $29.99 at Macy’s
Blue Spice 5-Pocket Triple Button High-Waist Skinny Jeans, $32.99 at J.C. Penney
Dittos Jennifer Dark Blue High Rise Skinny Jeans, $89.00 at Lulu’s
Solid Sleeveless Cross-Back Crop Top in Black, $3.99 at Aéropostale
Sheer Play Floral Organza Cropped Top in Pink, $16.92 at Go Jane
Girls Belleflower Crop Top, $24.95 at Hollister
Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Core Hi in Classic Black, $55.00 at Zappos
Roxy Women’s Minnow in Sea White Crochet, $39.99 at Famous Footwear
Leopard Rhinestone Watch in Black, $14.50 at Wet Seal
Rhinestone & Floral Bangle Set, $12.90 at Wet Seal
Beaded Stretch Bracelet in Black/gold, $3.00 at Forever 21
Bejeweled Stud Set, $4.80 at Forever 21
Tribal Rhinestone & Epoxy Stackable Rings in Ivory, $7.90 at Wet Seal
Rhinestone Charm Necklace in Gold/clear, $4.80 at Forever 21